I used to make this granola years ago when I was more into baking than I have been. I got the recipe from a good friend Torie who left South African shores for the States!
Quarantine & lockdown have reignited my baking enthusiasm as well as the high demand in this house for my Granola. I've made this granola a couple of times since being in quarantine and as a result, we've labelled it "Corona Granola".
Dad is on a gluten-free mission so I made it with gluten free oats.
It's easy, simple and such a treat to have home-made so it's very customisable. You can change the ratios and add or remove whichever ingredients you like and make it your own!
If any of you try it, please share a pic of how it came out!
- 2 cups oats
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 6-8 dates
- 1T honey
- 1t cinnamon
- 1t vanilla essense or extract
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- Add the oats into a big mixing bowl
- Either add the almonds whole or chop them to no smaller than 1/4 of the nut (otherwise they burn) & add to oats
- Add the pumpkin seeds
- Chop the dates into small chunks and add
- Add honey, cinnamon & vanilla
- Mash up the banana & add
- Add the coconut oil. Note: if the coconut oil is cold and hard, it will be difficult to mix in to either let it come to room temperature or warm it until soft
- Mix until all ingredients are well integrated
- Spread onto a baking tray
- Pop into the over for 10 minutes
- Check on the granola and mix around to ensure even baking
- Return to the oven if it needs more baking time but watch it carefully as you don't want it to burn. The granola is ready when it's a golden brown colour. Don't let it get too dark!
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before putting into a jar for storage
Enjoy with fruit & yoghurt or use as a smoothie bowl topping!
Feel free to change it up and add your own unique flair!